Thursday, December 9, 2010

God and World War II's GI Joes and Janes

Honoring the Men and Women Who Serve
Perhaps nothing is as important in the world of journalism, to me, at least, than preserving the stories of people who have served and served well. So I feel a deep calling to help tell the stories of the World War II veterans I have been privileged to interview. Some I interviewed alone. Some I met with my senior level college journalism students. Some I interviewed with my late husband, Jace Holloman.

And one particularly important veteran in my life was my father, the late James G. Holmes. I learned my dad's story over decades. But its centerpiece, his devotion to his country and to serving well in the U.S. Army during World War II,  echoes the stories of so many men and women I've met. What I first learned about my father's service was the fascination for Italy and its people that he brought home from the war. Like so many young Americans, he served because he was asked to serve. Going to war wasn't really appealing to most of the young men and women who entered the service, whether they volunteered or were drafted.

What mattered was the call to service which came so naturally to the men and women who've come to be known as "The Greatest Generation." They shrug off questions about why they served. They dismiss entreaties about whether it was difficult or demoralizing. Instead, they admit to being afraid sometimes, cold other times, and, often homesick. One of the unusual viewpoints my father brought home from the war was an aversion to camping. When I ventured the opinion that there must be something "to camping" because my college roommate's family had camped across Europe, my daddy simply shook his head. "Sorry, honey," he said. "I spent enough nights in a tent during World War II to last me a lifetime!"

I'm sure the sons and daughters of other World War II vets and the offspring of veterans from other wars have similar stories to tell. And, maybe sad stories, too. As I write, I'm working on a new book about these veterans, hoping to dig beneath the surface and find out what many of them never told their children. Like so many who have served and served well, these men and women were -- and are -- quiet heroes. They gave greatly of themselves during the war, came home, got jobs and had children. Service, to them, was routine. Their stories are portraits of greatness from which I hope my students and other young people --the next generation of American leaders  -- will draw inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. These are intergenerational stories that should be told. Thank you for all that you do--storytellers unite!

    ReplyDelete